Community engagement is an integral component of NMSU’s land-grant mission as demonstrated by inclusion in the institutions Vision 2020 Strategic Plan. Community engagement involves the application of knowledge and skills in a context of partnership and reciprocity beyond the campus walls and makes discoveries useful beyond the academic community.
How do we do Community Engagement at NMSU?
- Did you know? NMSU hosts more than 500 events open to the community each year.
- Did you know? NMSU’s service learning students have contributed over 30,000 work hours, making an economic impact of over $600,000 to the regional economy.
- Did you know? NMSU offers more than 200 classes that provide students with hands-on work-base-learning opportunities.
- Did you know? NMSU's student athletes invest more than 6,000 service hours each year in communities throughout the state.
- Did you know? NMSU's Arrowhead Center has worked with more than 200 student entrepreneurs and provides assistance to 60 local small business.
NMSU’s commitment to community and economic engagement is recognized with a Carnegie Community Engagement Classification and the APLU, Innovation and Economic Prosperity University Designation.